> So they are real then? as in they work? I thought they were  just a  promo
> fund rasing stunt.
>
> best place for it then, in a Sam.

They were real - they are the batch of 40 test pieces from VLSI. If i
remember correctly the prices going around was £50,000 for the 40 prototype
pieces. Typical proceedure was to pay a very high price initially to pay for
all the masks etc required for the manufacture of the silicon and get a few
test pieces before commencing with a full batch of chips.

They get their 'gold' name for being in ceramic packaging with gold plated
contacts and lid, with the mass produced batch in the more normal plastic
packaging. I've just uploaded a photo at
http://www.quazar.clara.net/goldasic.jpg

Colin
=====
Quazar : Hardware, Software, Spares and Repairs for the Sam Coupe
April 1995-2006 - Celebrating 11 Years of developing for the Sam Coupe
Website: http://www.samcoupe.com/