Came up with a new piece of hardware today.

Looks like we have similar ideas(hooking displays to SAM I mean).
A couple of weeks ago I made a single resistor (or wire) mod to sams parallel port So A LCD compatible display can be added to SAMs parallel port with just using a cable.

http://home.orange.nl/edwin.blink/samcoupe/hardware/lcd/PLED-display.JPG

Instead of a LCD I used a 2x20 PLED display I had lying around for quite a while. PLED displays have better brightnes/contrast then LCD displays. But they are a bit
harder to get because of a shortage.

Put together quickly with a bit of logic decoding and a microcontroller.

I guess you will be using the microcontroller to translate SAMs (latched) Z80 Address/data bus
to readable output on thr display. Right ?

Edwin