Hello all,

I would like to announce immediate availability of a new program:

SAMflate

- an implementation of the inflate decompression algorithm from RFC1951, as used by gzip and other compatible utilities. In other words, it's like gunzip for the Sam.

Note that I have not implemented the compression side - instead you use the standard gzip utility on your Mac/PC/Unix computer to compress a file, and SAMflate running on the Sam will decode it for you.

You can download it here:

http://www.worldofsam.org/freelinking/SAMflate

Source code is also available[1], for anyone who wants to incorporate it into other programs:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/samflate/

[1] At least it will be, as soon as sourceforge admins get around to approving the project

(requires pyz80 for assembly, I took a few shortcuts when writing it...)

Please have a go, and do let me know if you find it useful or if you have any trouble with it!

I'd be especially interested if you have a file it can't decode (there may be bugs in the handling of Block Types 0 and 1 - the code isn't really tested because I couldn't persuade gzip to make that sort of file to try it with! Block Type 2 is the most efficient, and gzip seems to use it for all compression levels 1 to 9, so it's unlikely that anyone will see that problem...)

Cheers,
Andrew

--
 ---       Andrew Collier         ----