Oh, but for the record, with what I think is a completely straight
reimplementation of PNG that isn't particularly intelligent in
searching for the smallest size:

1: 256 x 141 : 5190 (774 bytes worse than you)
2: 256 x 141 : 6439  (826 bytes worse)
3: 256 x 192 : 10041 (938 bytes worse)
4: 256 x 192 : 9326 (732 bytes worse)
5: 256 x 192 : 10599 (496 bytes worse)

Which puts me, on average, about 10% worse than you.