Per
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/general-discussion/some-very-good-audio-news
:

"... you will be able to deal with two high-quality audio streams, one
via HDMI and one through that jack"

So it's implied there's a completely separate audio route that goes to
the 3.5mm jack output, unrelated to the HDMI. My guess would be that
you can't get audio out through HDMI other than through the
(proprietary, closed) video decoder but you'll be able to use the jack
for whatever you want.