I have been planning for a while not to do this modification. But I was
going to use an I2C IO Extender chip instead of the USB keyboard hack.
With this I should be able to map exactly the spectrum keyboard map into
Linux. Ive had the broken spectrum and a couple of beagle boards sitting
on my shelf for 6 months or so but had no time to get soldering!

It can be done easilly with the Pi or Beaglebone as well, and they are
significant cheaper and smaller.

Graeme