I guess it was easy to put in something like an optional shift right
by three to compose scan line number and column number when fetching
attributes, hence to allow Mode 1 and 2, but would have been harder to
have alternative attribute interpretation logic? I'm unsure why they
decided to go bright + flash in the Spectrum, to be honest. Was
flashing a must have feature of the 1982 computer market?

I think I'm right to say the American Timex machines have the
equivalent of Mode 2?

A pretend 64x96 mode could allow for some neat effects. I'll wager you
could do Wolfenstein in it, based on the CPC seemingly being to cope
in its 64-bytes-for-128-pixels mode, per YouTube. Following that line
of logic through, anything on the CPC that isn't using a hardware
scroll should be an option.