New York Times
OP-ED COLUMNIST
Missing Links Found
By WILLIAM SAFIRE
November 24, 2003

WASHINGTON - Two blockbuster magazine articles last week revealed evidence
that Saddam's spy agency and top Qaeda operatives certainly were in frequent
contact for a decade, and that there is renewed reason to suspect an Iraqi
spymaster in Prague may have helped finance the 9/11 attacks.

On weeklystandard.com, you can find chunks of a 16-page letter by Under
Secretary of Defense Douglas Feith, responding to a Senate Intelligence
Committee request for evidence of Saddam-bin Laden collaboration. Fifty
specific instances from C.I.A., N.S.A., F.B.I. and Pentagon files are
described, many from "sensitive reporting" never made public.

The Defense Department acknowledged the Oct. 27 letter included a classified
annex of "raw reports or products" of U.S. intelligence agencies on "the
relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda," cautioning that it "drew no
conclusions." But with so much connective tissue exposed - some the result
of "custodial interviews" of prisoners - the burden of proof has shifted to
those still grimly in denial.

Remember how anti-liberation politicians and journalists pooh-poohed Colin
Powell's February 2003 speech to the U.N. about the presence in Iraq of a
Qaeda associate, identified in this space as Abu Musab al-Zarqawi? Powell's
assertion had this "sensitive reporting" basis: "As of Oct. 2002 al Zarqawi
was setting up sleeper cells in Baghdad to be activated in case of a U.S.
occupation of the city."

Deniers derogate as "cherry picking" Feith's intelligence summary available
to senators: "The Czech counterintelligence service reported that the Sept.
11 hijacker [Mohamed] Atta met with the former Iraqi intelligence chief in
Prague, al Ani, on several occasions. During one of those meetings, al Ani
ordered the IIS [Iraq Intelligence Service] finance officer to issue Atta
funds from IIS financial holdings in the Prague office."

If true, that would implicate Saddam's regime in the murder of 3,000
Americans. Though the C.I.A. can confirm two Atta trips to Prague, in 1994
and 2000, it cannot confirm the two other visits the Czechs reported,
including one on April 9, 2001, with Saddam's top European agent, al-Ani,
then vice consul in Prague. C.I.A. chief George Tenet testified that the
meeting reported by the Czech service was "possible," but the F.B.I. floated
hints that car rental records showed Atta to be traveling between Virginia
and Florida that week.

Enter the writer Edward Jay Epstein in the liberal online journal Slate:
"All these reports attributed to the FBI were, as it turns out, erroneous.
There were no car rental records in Virginia, Florida, or anywhere else in
April 2001 for Mohamed Atta, since he had not yet obtained his Florida
license." You cannot rent a car without a driver's license.

Epstein went to Prague this month to interview Czech officials who want to
cooperate with the U.S. to get to the bottom of the Atta-Iraqi story but
have been stiffed by the F.B.I., whose bureaucracy is sensitive to charges
of failed surveillance. Read his detailed Slate report and subsequent
commentary on edwardjayepstein.com.

Since July, al-Ani has been in U.S. Department of Justice custody and I
wonder how effectively he is being interrogated. Have we learned the
whereabouts of his Prague and Baghdad aides and secretaries, and taken their
testimony? Have we asked M.I.5 to let us speak to Jabir Salim, his Prague
station-chief predecessor, who defected to Britain and may know which
employees and which banks could transfer $100,000 to an account accessible
to Atta?

Did al-Ani order any payment to "the student from Hamburg" or his
co-conspirators, as Czech intelligence believes, and did the paymaster carry
out the order? To what superior in Baghdad did al-Ani report, and who worked
most closely with him, and are they in custody and do their stories jibe?
What have we offered al-Ani, in protection or immunity or plea bargain, to
turn state's evidence?

F.B.I. Director Robert Mueller is duty-bound to examine the full transcript
of the interrogation to see how seriously this is being pursued; same with
Senate Intelligence. I'd also assign new agents to follow up leads in
Prague.

Intrepid journalists will ultimately bring the full story of the Saddam-bin
Laden connection to light. In the meantime, the F.B.I. should stop treating
9/11 as a cold case.