The Essential Chalabi
New York Sun Editorial
January 3, 2006

Now that the ultra-religious parties in Iraq have sidelined the secular, pro-democracy reformers, which of our policy makers is going to stand up and take the blame? Is it going to be George Tenet and Colin Powell, whose Central Intelligence Agency and State Department spent much of the last seven years ridiculing Ahmad Chalabi? Is it going to be all the administration officials who spoke off the record and on deep background to disparage Mr. Chalabi as a pro-Iranian spy without offering up a shred of evidence? It would seem the Iranian role in this election was to undercut the man who was accused an Iranian stooge.

Or is the blame going to be shouldered by the pro-Hashemite camp, which issued apologies for the Jordanian monarchy while the Jordanians were dancing on the rooftops cheering on as Saddam Hussein launched his scud attack on Israel back during the Gulf War? Is it going to be President Clinton, whose administration scuttled plans to pay out to the Iraqi National Congress the $97 million in seed money that was authorized in the Iraq Liberation Act? Is it going to be the foreign affairs columnist of the New York Times, Thomas Friedman, who once boasted that he had never met Mr. Chalabi?

Well, we won't hold our breath. We're content to note that in recent weeks Mr. Chalabi did something extraordinary. He stood on the Madisonian, Erhardian principles on which he has carried his quest so far and forfeited near certain political success to branch out on his own, without state sponsorship, to form a non-sectarian party. He gambled that some of his countrymen would choose a party and leader that eschewed the sectarian divisions that could end up destroying Iraq. In so doing, Mr. Chalabi left the United Iraqi Alliance he helped form over a year ago. That was the party that appeared to sweep the Shiite voters in the election.

For those who constantly accuse Mr. Chalabi of the flaw of political expediency, here is a case of a politician who eschewed the easy election maneuver - which would have been to attach to the Shiite political machine - in favor of the non-sectarian principles. While Mr. Chalabi went out of his way to tout support from Iran, he also made it clear that he opposed the sort of meddling we suspect from the Islamic Republic in these elections. While he lost this round, his admirers take heart from the fact that it has so often proved to be a mistake to count out Mr. Chalabi, who will be assuming duties as Iraq's oil minister as Iraqi leaders work out the new government. That is no doubt a reflection of his ability to manage as well as lead. In the next government, we expect all confessional stripes will conclude they cannot do without him. Too bad so many in Washington have been for so long insisting they must.