I my office there are 2 subnets 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.0.
I have installed samba and have changed the following line in
/etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:      files nisplus dns
hosts:      files nisplus dns wins

Now when Samba is running and i type in ping deployment the ping command
works
and sucessfully pings this windoze box. However when I type in ssh
deployment I get
ssh: deployment: No address associated with hostname ? Wierd huh ? Is there
a way of
getting this to work ? Why does it do this for ping/traceroute but not for
any other utility ?

Anyone got any ideas about how to get this working ? (Am willing to bribe
with beer and tortillas )

Bryan

PS Here is some more info

Product: Red Hat Linux
Version: 7.2
Platform: i386
OS/Version: Linux

>From Bugzilla Helper:

Description of problem:
They only work for ping and traceroute they wont work for telnet or ssh

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.In /etc/nsswitch.conf set lookup line to hosts: wins files dns nisplus
2.Go to a command line and attempt to ping a windows box on your network
ie: ping skippy .....
[root@localhost glibc]# ping skippy
PING skippy (192.168.0.244) from 192.168.0.6 : 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.0.244: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.614 ms

--- skippy ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% loss, time 0ms

3. That worked no problem

4 Now try to telnet to the same box ....
 telnet skippy
telnet: skippy: No address associated with hostname
skippy: No address associated with name

Actual Results:  telnet should have connected to the server

Expected Results:  telnet could not find the hostname however ping was able
to do so

Additional info:

RPMS installed

samba-2.2.3a-4