I recently sent the following to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I did not receive
any replies, except one inquiry reporting that he had encountered the same
problem. (When I sent it to samba-bugs, I was advised to send it here.)

I am not a Samba expert, but I do have many years of experience with many
operating systems.  I have tried to find an explanation for this behaviour
on the systems on my network, but cannot, and believe therefore that this
might be a Samba fault.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bert

--
Synopsis:

I do daily dumps from a Linux box of the Windows machines on my network.
(Kernel 2.4.7-10, Redhat 7.2., samba-2.2.1a-4 )  These are done overnight.

I mount the appropriate shared directories as a samba filesystem and use
tar to incrementally dump all recently changed files (using their time
stamp).  I have done this for several years now.

On an older Linux system (Slakware based, older 2.2.18 kernel, older
Samba), I had no problems.

I now get a number of errors of the form:

        tar: ./Toxocara/Restore/Toxocara.mdb: file changed as we read it

The files that generate these errors are completely static.  There are 4
to 6 of them.  It seems always to be the same files.  Their timestamps
look perfectly normal.  There is nothing that I can find that is altering
these files.  Their timestamps have not changed.

Suggestions or pointers to fix this very annoying problem would be
appreciated.

Pls reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance.
Bert Buckley