On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 08:16:11AM -0400, David Collier-Brown wrote:

>       In the meantime, we're trying building an smbd with
>       spinlocks. Jeremy has cautioned us that This May Be Bad (;-))

Indeed :-).

>       So, let me ask some spinlock question:
>       1) I know that if one process goes down holding a
>       spinlock, the lock will be non-removable. Will it be
>       removed if all smbds go down, and specifically if
>       they go down on a system crash, or are they persistent?

The tdb file containing the spinlock will need to be removed.

>       2) if they are persistent (they appear to be part of the tdb
>       data structure ???) can the system be brought down and then
>       recover/delete them?

Yes. Only Samba needs to be taken down, not the system.

>       3) will they be cleaned up if a client machine goes
>       down and the smbd discovers this via a keepalive?

Yes, it's only the kill -9 nosave problem.

>       If we can find a workaround with acceptable behavior,
>       I'll recommend isolating this set of databases on a
>       single samba, dedicated to that task and using spinlocks.
>       This is still a workaround, but the production system
>       is at risk both ways...

Yep - Solaris desparately needs a patch for this....

BTW: I ended up losing all email whilst I was away due to
"unforseen problems" :-(. Anyone who sent me email and didn't
get a response please resend.

Jeremy.