On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 02:06  PM, Jason Hihn wrote:

I am wondering if SAMBA can go over NetBEUI yet? I realize I'll probably
have to re-compile my kernel (easy enough), but what if anything has to be
done on the SAMBA side?
Microsoft themselves have deprecated the NETBEUI protocol, and Windows XP no longer includes support for this protocol. Additionally, NETBEUI has never been a routable protocol, and is only suitable to small LAN's. That is why Microsoft and other NETBIOS implementations went away from NETBEUI to NETBIOS over TCP/IP and NETBIOS over IPX.

I am not telling you someone out there has not developed a NETBEUI protocol stack that will run on Linux (I am assuming you are running Linux). But as a long time network administrator and programmer myself, I cannot imagine WHY anyone would waste time doing so at this point in time. Doing so would only have made sense quite a few years ago (early to mid 1990's!)....

Samba itself is not really where the NETBEUI protocol would have to be implemented... someone jump in and tell me if I am mistaken....
--
Jim Morris ([EMAIL PROTECTED])