Hi All,

I need some information from one of you expert Samba developers out there. I wrote a little tool for listing users, groups, and group membership on Windows servers using MSRPC calls. It works against Windows NT and 2000 machines, but not against a Samba server. Here's why:

To list global groups, I perform a samrQueryDisplayInfo call, with level 3 (for groups). To get the members of each group I perform a samrOpenGroup followed by a samrQueryGroupMembers call.

To list local and built-in groups, I first perform an OpenDomain call with either the special built-in domain sid or the server's domain sid. I follow this up with a samrEnumDomainAliases call to get the groups/aliases. Then for each group I do a samrOpenAlias followed by a samrGetAliasMembers query.

The tool works fine against Windows NT and Windows 2000 machines. However, when I try it against my Samba server I get a STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED error as a response to my samrOpenGroup request. Examining the Samba source code revealed that this SAMR request is indeed not implemented. Any reason why not? Is there a better, or more recommended way, of obtaining the global groups?

Kind Regards,
Yuval