That is logical, good explanation.
But why does SAMBA_STARTUP.COM state :

$! Uncomment the following lines if for some reason the TCPIP$STARTUP.COM
$! does not start the services.  By default the TCPIP startup starts the
$! services so the following lines are not needed normally and generate
$! error/warning messages if left enabled.
$!
$ tcpip enable service smbd
$ tcpip enable service swat
...? Pretty strange.
So, I had to uncomment these lines for the Alpha running OVMS 7.3-2
and for the VAX running OVMS 7.3 because these services are not automatically
enabled.

Luiz

John E. Malmberg wrote:

Luiz Guilherme Regis Emediato wrote:

Hi,

This command is commented out in SAMBA_STARTUP.COM which is
run inside of SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM. I have them installed and if
I remove the comment sign it works fine as a work around.
However the problem with TCP/IP remains, that is, why didn't
the ECO patch resolve the problem with
           "set config enable service smbd"
           "set config enable service swat" ?

Because until the SAMBA_STARTUP command file is run, the logical names required by SWAT and SMBD do not exist.

The SAMBA_STARTUP.COM procedure must be run after the startup procedure for the TCPIP services.

If you enable the services with SET CONFIG, then all attempts to start the SMBD services will fail until the SAMBA_STARTUP.COM is run. You also may end up with data corruption because some files may not be properly initialized.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only

PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT ETIQUETTE MESSAGE BEFORE POSTING: