Hmmm.  I've determined long ago that the single best way to track down
your error is to post your problem publicly.  Clearly, my smbpasswd
command line in my original post (re-created below in its glory) is
incorrect.  *sigh*  However, I -am- still convinced I'm having some sort
of issue that's related to authentication of some sort.  For example:

[From W2K machine that's a member of the domain:]

C:\>cacls \\freedom\shared\it\rfc
\\freedom\shared\it\rfc :F
                        :F
                        Everyone:R
                        :(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                        :(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                        Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

C:\>cacls \\freedom\shared\it\rfc /g fred:f
Are you sure (Y/N)?y
processed dir: \\freedom\shared\it\rfc

C:\>cacls \\freedom\shared\it\rfc
\\freedom\shared\it\rfc :F
                        :F
                        Everyone:R
                        :(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                        :(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                        Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

And here is the corresponding output from log.scanner1 off of freedom:
[2002/06/10 01:15:00, 0] smbd/posix_acls.c:create_canon_ace_lists(775)
  create_canon_ace_lists: unable to map SID
S-1-5-21-3724628487-1952136730-75335
2548-2036 to uid or gid.
[2002/06/10 01:15:22, 0] smbd/posix_acls.c:create_canon_ace_lists(775)
  create_canon_ace_lists: unable to map SID
S-1-5-21-3724628487-1952136730-75335
2548-2036 to uid or gid.

There is also a slew of

[2002/06/09 23:58:47, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwnam(1367)
  unable to open passdb database.

though these don't appear to crop up at the same time that the cacls
command is issued.

Sorry for the goof-up; that's what I get for trying to figure things out
after 1:00 a.m. after a long weekend...

-Ken