I had that happen to me on w2k.  Your spooler service is stopped.  I had an invalid print driver entry in Samba and when I printed to any of the printers on my Samba server it would cause the service to stop.

To fix it I replaced the printer tdb's and re-installed the drivers.

Josh
-----Original Message-----
From: Klopf, Tom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 10:28 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [Samba] error: "printing subsystem unavailable" when trying to print test page to samba server

Hey all - I'm experiencing some problems with samba:

I have a samba print server with a number of printers (200+)

When I "browse" to the server, and into the "printers" folder,  I am able to print a test page from the "properties" window of a printer.

HOWEVER, when I try to print a test-page from another printer, I suddenly start to get error messages.  The first time I print, I get some strange "protection fault" message or something. After that, I get a message that the "printer subsystem" is not available when I try to bring up the properties on a printer.

After that, I try to browse back to my samba server, and the "printers" folder is gone, though the network printers are still visible.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-t