Hi everyone,

I have a small home network with a Samba 2.2.3 server on Linux serving up my files and printers. However, from windows machines (win 98) connecting to a share takes an annoyingly long time (in the order of 10s of seconds) Connecting from a linux box is very quick. I have configured Windows 98 to fully reconnect the share on logon. If I don't, Windows Explorer hangs all over the place (even when simply loading it and it hits the network). After the initial connection, everything is pretty quick. I have run through all the diagnostics and I have no clue why Windows could be so slow connecting.

Note on hardware: 10 Mbit network, 1.2 GHz and 350 Mhz windows machines connecting to a 500 mhz linux machine (with 2 eth interfaces)... No CPU usage issues on linux server and full network availability during connections. I have no connectivity troubles with the network.

Any thots?? Is this a silly little configuration problem?

Thanks in advance.

FjK

Please Reply All - I'm not on the list.

> grep -v "^[;#]" /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep -v "^$"

[global]
workgroup = KUIPERS_HOME
server string = Samba Server %v
printcap name = lpstat
load printers = yes
printing = cups
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
security = share
encrypt passwords = no
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
dns proxy = no
unix password sync = no
map to guest = never
password level = 0
null passwords = no
allow hosts = 192.168.0.
os level = 33
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
interfaces = eth1 lo
dead time = 0
debug level = 0
status = yes
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
available = yes
public = no
user = fred val
only user = no
preexec close = no
root preexec close = no
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = yes
public = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
create mode = 0700
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r # using client side printer dr
ivers.
available = yes
[print$]
path = /var/lib/samba/printers