I'm not having any trouble with windows XP an samba here, at work nor at home either. Now if your trying to run in a domain then I have heard of others having trouble, but we are just using a workgroup here with no problems.

One thing to checkout is to see if you have added the users as a samba user. just creating accounts on the unix/linux machine will not work, you have to add the users to samba. I use webmin to do this an its very nice an easy to use.