Dear List:

We have a 25+ node mixed networked of NT4SP5, Win2K, & WinXP.  We are currently using Express Meter to control our software licensing and capture data to analyze software license utilization to justify additional licenses, etc. We are running SAMBA v 2.0.7 on a Sun Ultra 2 running Solaris 7. We have been unable to get the reporting functions to work (the Express Meter log files get purged when the data merging / reporting process is performed).  A SAMBA debug log shows the following strange sequence of locks / unlocks. The applib.loc file is opened with read=No, write=Yes and then followed by opening another handle on the same file with read=Yes and write=No. This seems a little strange to me and may not be the problem at all. Their tech support is apparently not willing to invest any more time to investigate this problem as it appears to function correctly when the files are stored on an NT workstation. We are not willing to

[2002/11/05 15:17:33, 2] smbd/open.c:(602)
  bburnett opened file em/fromtaurus/applib.loc read=No write=Yes (numopen=3)
[2002/11/05 15:17:33, 2] smbd/open.c:(602)
  bburnett opened file em/fromtaurus/applib.lib read=Yes write=No (numopen=4)
[2002/11/05 15:17:33, 2] smbd/open.c:(602)
  bburnett opened file em/fromtaurus/applib.loc read=Yes write=No (numopen=5)

We would like to continue to use Express Meter because of the time we have invested in setup and configuration.  However, the reporting capability is a requirement for our firm.  Therefore, we are considering switching to another software metering application. We are currently reviewing the following:
Keyserver from Sassafras Software
Application Metering from Codework

If anyone has a suggestion to correct / workaround the above file locking sequence or has experience with these or other software metering applications, I would greatly appreciate your comments (good & bad).

Thanks,
Tom -- To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the instructions: http://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba