I'm running a RedHat 8.0 system. Pretty much stock. But I uninstalled the version of samba, samba-common and samba-client that came with it. Instead I downloaded a tarball from samba.org. I have just finished compiling and installing samba 2.2.7 using the --with-pam --with-smbmount --with-winbind options during configure. I also made the necessary changes to smb.conf, /etc/pam.d/login, /etc/pam.d/system-auth. The system has been added to my NT 4 domain with the smbpasswd command. If I test using the following commands:

wbinfo -u
wbinfo -g

I get lists of the NT domain users and groups, respectively.

Also, if I do:

wbinfo -a DOMAIN+username%password

I get the following message:

plaintext password authentication succeeded

So... it looks like my system is communicating with the NT PDC. But... if I try these commands:

getent passwd
getent group

I only see the local users and groups listed, respectively.

Also, when I try to log into the console with DOMAIN+username and then the password
I get the following message briefly, then I am thrown back to the login prompt:

user not known to any authentication module

Anyone else here have winbind working?

If this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know.

Thanks,
George