Volker Lendecke wrote:
On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 03:06:36AM +0200, vot...@gmx.de wrote:
Hello,

can anyone give me some tips why the file size of various samba executables has been increased dramatically from 3.0.34 to 3.3.3 (e.g. smbd 3.5MB -> ~7MB) The reason is that it is necessary for our project to keep the size as small as possible. You can have a look into the makefile here: http://freenas.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freenas/experimental/samba3/Makefile?revision=4553&view=markup

Any tip would be great. Maybe i did not realize a magic configure switch???

Probably a good piece of that is the autogenerated RPC
marshalling in librpc/gen_ndr/ndr_*.c. This is required for
quite a few of the binaries, so it might be possible to put
those into a shared library and so reduce the overall size
of the binaries. There's no magic switch for this however,
sorry.

Volker
Is it possible that there are added features in 3.3.3 automatically that aren't available in 3.0.34? Maybe i can switch them off? I compared the configure scripts of both versions but did not see great differences. I can't understand what blows up the code so much, was there a great change in the code base of 3.2.x and 3.3.x?

Regards
Volker