Wojciech Giel wrote:
Gary Dale wrote:
The netlogon share is, AFAIK, used if you want to provide scripts to be run at logon. It's not essential for roaming profiles but it's also probably not large so there is no point in not having one. Corporate types love being able to control end user's using netlogon scripts.

Profiles are a copy of your Windows account profile that gets synched when you log on or off a Windows computer. The problem is, if you have lots of files in My Documents, it can get large and synching can take a long time.

AFAIK there is no need for them both to be on the same machine but I've never tried doing it any other way. Not sure how to specify them on different machines. You can put your netlogon and profiles anywhere.

But can I stay only with this entries in smb.conf
         logon script = scripts\logon.bat
         logon home = \\OXHILL\%U
         logon path = \\OXHILL\%U\.profiles
         logon drive = H:

and get rid of [profile] share at all on pdc or member.
I'm not sure what the point would be. Scripts are small files so even across a slow connection, they will download quickly. The profiles, on the other hand, can be large and synching them is slow. Moreover, having a copy on a server eliminates the need to back up workstations (although if users have a lot of files in their profiles, the synching can be slow - try to get them to keep files on server shares). With the profiles stored on a server, you just need to backup the server.

The path you specify in your smb.conf above puts it in a hidden (.profile) directory in a user's Unix home folder. However, they may not have one.

it is created automatically by scripts. But I only need to configure samba to work correctly in this layout.
If your users all have Unix accounts, but this is not necessary for Samba to work. However, it's no big deal to put the profiles elsewhere. Your choice.

I keep mine in /home/samba/netlogon and /home/samba/profiles/%U myself. You can still share that for each user but it keeps your /home directory smaller - only Unix accounts & samba show up directly in /home.

thanks

Good luck!