Quoting Dale Schroeder <d...@briannassaladdressing.com>:

Jonathan,

Any chance there could be a duplicate user?
getent passwd|grep /user/ would narrow the list down.

Dale

Thanks for the idea, but no.  Just one occurrence.

I'm pretty sure the namespace with the collision is the profile. There is already a Desktop and it wants to create another. Note that I am *not* adding this user, it is already in the system and the profile is already on the share.

PS: to followup the group membership nonsense I was seeing yesterday. In the evening I logged in from home and saw the group membership was correct for that user. Nobody was logged on, and I certainly didn't fix it. I wonder if there was a cache somewhere which timed out.