That link certainly sounds promising. I'll try to induce another crash after trying the things you specified and see what happens. I really appreciate your helping me even though this is looking like it's not even Samba-related.

Your "tsk tsk" implies that posting one of those logs was a security risk. For the sake of learning, which log should I not have posted?

--Paul A.

Quinn Fissler wrote:
It could be that tweaking your driver parameters with your curent card could cure the problem... We know it's the r8169 from your other logs (which I didn't read - tsk tsk)
Look at your irq allocations
cat /proc/interrupts
See the network driver - note its IRQ - have a look at its corresponding stats in /proc/irq/<you noted>/files - there are counters there - maybe they'll help diagnose (unhandled interrupts etc).
Look at using an alternative driver...
I just googled and found this:
http://www.jamesonwilliams.com/hardy-r8168