Le 10/08/2009 19:20, LiuYan 刘研 a écrit :

Thank you Johan for your reply!

I've already configured the web admin of CUPS, I even assign an 80 port to
it. What I do not want to use it is because of:
1. It can't show the correct document pages if windows clients print to
samba shared printer. it will always be 1 page.
2. It's not real-time enough, we need manually refresh/reload the page like
polling mode.
3. It's a web GUI which need a text browser to display it, and there are
other important management options on it.

Before I migrate to linux print server, I use a Windows 2000 Professional to
act as print server. Workmates know how to open the print/fax folder, view
the print queue, and cancel a print job on the win2000 print server. So I
want a similar simple management like that on a linux print server,
unfortunately, web-admin of CUPS does not fit that very well :(.

Johan Hendriks wrote:

I setup a central Fedora 11 printer server in a big office for 80+ windows
clients due to the max 10 connections limitation of windows 2000/xp. 2
physical printers are connected to the server, and I configured 3 CUPS
printers(1 printer with 2 different printer drivers) in Fedora 11.

Is there a console tool to
1. Monitor the print queue(s) in real-time like windows system? A history
windows hold some recent printed jobs information, and a real-time window
hold the current printing/queueing jobs information. The current
printing/queueing job information contains the information like windows
system provided such as: Document Name, Status, Owner, Pages, File Size,
Submit Time, Port.

2. Control the print queue(s). Everyone who stand in front of Fedora 11
can
cancel any print job.

3. Log the job informations. Log job information to database, especially
the
'Pages' and 'Owner' info of a job, so that I get a total Pages/Papers
consumed in a month. CUPS can't provide a correct Pages value if job comes
>from Samba.

4. Notify the Owner when the job is finished via windows messenger
mechanism. Many workmates(especially workmates from HR department) often
print documents which have hundreds of pages. Their office is 30+ meters
far
>from the printer, they rarely watch the print queue in their windows
workstation, and watching a 'hundreds of pages' print job is boring. So,
if
owner can be notified when print job is finished, it will be very
convenient. (hmmm, it's a weird idea that job information been notified
via
windows messenger mechanism, but windows messenger service comes with
windows 2000+ system, so client users don't need install other softwares
receive notification.)

ps:
(1). the printer server is an old computer (Celeron 900MHz, 128M+32M
memory), so it's not good to run GUI desktop.
(2). Document name contains Chinese characters, all I know is: there's an
open source project named zhCon to deal the display/input of
Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters in text console mode. And the encoding
of
zhCon may be different to the linux system (I mean, the linux system may
have LANG=en_US.UTF-8, but zhCon may working with zh_CN.GBK), so the
encoding can be configurable.

:working:
If there's no such a tool, can anybody guide me how to get these print
queue
information from Samba?

Any hint will be appreciated! :)

Can't you use the webbased frontend of CUPS
Like http://your-printserver:631/admin

You need to edit the cups config file to allow other machine's other then
localhost to acces the web gui.

Here you find some info
http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sam.html#5_3

regards,
Johan

18:10:00

Under GNOME see the "gnome-cups-manager" package, and if you want try to accounting your jobs, maybe the "pykota" suite or just the "pkpgcounter" tool.

Regards,

Rodolphe