I'm using Samba 3.0.33 (RHEL 5) to connect to a Windows 2008 active directory server. I am restricting SSH logins to a particular AD group. The users allowed to login will change frequently, so it's important to me that their group membership is updated when their access to this server is granted or revoked. The problem that I keep running into is that group membership on the Samba machine doesn't seem to sync up with the Windows DC until a user authenticates.

Essentially, if I remove a user from the login group in AD, they will still be able to login to the Samba box once, then their group membership will be updated. Conversely, if they are added to the login group (and the Samba box has "seen" their user before - it doesn't seem to happen with new users) they will not appear to be in that group from the Samba box's perspective until they have been authenticated - in that case, it often requires a wbinfo --authenticate username%password, since their SSH login attempts will fail due to them appearing to be not in the login group. Once that is done, groups USERNAME will report accurate group membership.

I've tried adjusting the winbind cache time, to the point of disabling it in the init script, but I haven't had any success updating a group membership short of authenticating the user. I was originally using the AllowGroups directive in sshd_config, and I switched that to using pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup in /etc/pam.d/system-auth, with the same result.

Here's what I have in smb.conf

[global]
   workgroup = AD
   password server = AD.WKU.EDU
   realm = AD.WKU.EDU
   security = ads
   idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
   template shell = /usr/bin/rssh
   winbind use default domain = yes
   winbind offline logon = false
   winbind nested groups = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   winbind enum users = no
   template homedir = /var/www/html
   winbind cache time = 1
   passdb backend = tdbsam

nsswitch.conf:

passwd:     winbind files
shadow:     winbind files
group:      winbind files

I did some googling for this problem, and found a few instances that sounded similar, but I didn't see any solutions. Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Rob