I have the following setup:
    PDC:  Samba 3.0.37 on Solaris 10
    BDC1: Samba 3.0.37 on Solaris 10
    BDC2: Samba 3.4.3 on Solaris 10

Samba 3.0.37 is the bundled version of Samba.
Samba 3.4.3 is compiled from source.

BDC2 is a recent addition to the network.
All machine use LDAP as the backend for everything. They use winbind to handle a domain trust with another domain, but otherwise isn't needed.

If I start samba on BDC2 and logon to an XP (or Win 2003) Machine, the logon will be to BDC2. This can be verified with echo %logonserver%. Rebooting the XP machine is probably not necessary to see this.

If I login as the domain administrator, I am effectively not considered a member of the local administrator group. If I look at the local Administrator group I will see the DOMAIN/Administrators as members. But I am unable to install software, see all local files, add users to local groups etc.

"OS level" on all three DC's was not explictly set, so was 20 by default. I changed BDC2 to "os level=0" and set the PDC to "os level=33." I did not restart samba on PDC. It seems to be a browsing issue.

I still logon to BDC2.

So I have two issues:

1- How to make sure that the PDC (or PDC and BDC1) use used in preference to BDC2. I assume that something about BDC2 having a newer ver of samba is getting it priority.

2. What is wrong with the domain members in local users group. This may be a BDC config in general issue (and I just never found it because BDC1 never took precendence over PDC) or it may be something to do with Samba 3.4.x vs 3.0.x.

Thanks