I added the index. (The Sun DS Admin guide has pretty simple instructions on doing this.)

I also added some additional indexes as per the following

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/2.0:_Configuring_LDAP

Unfortunately did not resolve the problem.

It does look like I have the 3.0 schema installed. The samba source directory includes a 3.2 version.

examples/LDAP/samba-schema-netscapeds5.x.
(The Sun Directory server is derived from the Netscape DS.)

I may try updating this off-hours.

Thanks