On 1/25/2010 4:47 PM, John Drescher wrote:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Joe<j...@freakyacres.com>  wrote:
On 1/25/2010 1:53 PM, John Drescher wrote:

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Joe<j...@freakyacres.com>    wrote:

I'm about to install 3.4.5 over 3.0.4 on an old FreeBSD 5.2.1 server from
source.  The server is backed up to tape.

Could I make life easier by backing up some files by hand to another
directory?

In theory should "make install" be all I have to do?  (yes I ran
configure
and make)

Will the old smb.conf need modified?

Yes definitely. You are going ahead 6 years of development.

Normally you are supposed to take a look at the change logs between
versions to determine what parameters have been changed or removed but
that would be very painful for that type of move.

I would run

testparm

before starting samba and fix any thing it complains about.

John

I didn't make install yet but ran testparm from the compile directory.

It complains...

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libtalloc.so.1" not found

So I expect samba may have trouble starting also.  Any tips?

libtalloc.so.1 is part of samba

John

So is there any way to run the new version of testparm before the
actual installation?