Adrian,

I had the same issue with Debian 3.4.3. I eventually found an old post that mentioned adding the "-i" option (if using ldap) to the "add machine script" entry like this:
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -i -w '%u'

I don't know which backend you're using, but smbpasswd also supports this option if adding machine accounts manually. I'm unaware of why it is needed or how a non-ldap PDC could use this option with an on-the-fly "add machine script" entry. I only know that XP and Win7 systems could now join the domain.

Dale