I get about 51MB/sec over my gigabit LAN, serving from Samba 3.4.0 on Ubuntu Karmic amd64 to smbclient 3.3.6 on FreeBSD 7.3-R amd64.

5tb# smbclient -I 192.168.0.20 -U user //192.168.0.20/share -c "get 1G.bin"
Enter user's password:
Domain=[BANSHEE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]
getting file \1G.bin of size 1073741824 as 1G.bin (50717.1 kb/s) (average 50717.1 kb/s)

For comparison, the same transfer gets 54.8 MB/sec by FTP (using pure-ftpd on the Ubuntu Karmic machine and wget on the FreeBSD 7.2-R machine). CIFS is a lot heavier than FTP, so this probably represents "as good as it's going to get" on this particular network.

(And your gigabit network may very well be faster than mine - mine's all cheap off-the-shelf SOHO parts.)

Miguel Medalha wrote:
Can you show me, how yours SAMBA work in Gigabit LAN ? What speeds ?
I can't measure them right now but I can tell you that I have 2 networks consisting of Samba Domain Controllers serving only Windows clients and the network speeds are very high. One of the networks is dedicated to Desktop Publishing and the InDesign pages coming from the Linux/Samba server appear on the Windows clients' screens like a sudden explosion. Very fast indeed.

Please, when you can measure - show me results. My network is 15 linux nodes
(small render farm) 1 Linux desktop, 8-10 Windows clients. (also Windows 7 -
this because i use samba 3.5.1 - windows 7 domain clients can authorize on
SAMBA server only with 3.5 SAMBA)

I want to look what SAMBA can do.