Le 29/03/2010 21:54, Jeremy Allison a écrit :
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 09:45:06PM +0200, Cassian Braconnier wrote:
Hi,
in "Using Samba" by G. Carter, J  Ts and R. Eckstein, 3rd edition, on
chapter 5, page 113, I ses that the security = share option is
"deprecated". It is said that "there is a high chance that ... will be
removed from Samba at some future time".

I find that security = share is extremely useful for many small non
critical networks.
Is it still the case that this option is considered "deprecated" ? and
if so what is supposed to replace it and to give the same functionality ?ier
Well you can replace security = share with the correct "map to guest"
options, so it really isn't useful in the way you think. Having said
that we haven't (yet) removed it, and I just refactored the code
that implements it, so it'll probably be around causing us trouble
for a while yet :-).

Jeremy.

With "security = share", the user, on a Windows client, has just to click on the computer icon and everything is there, available. As far as I can see (but maybe I am mistaken), with "map to guest" a dialog opens with identifier and password fields : something very troublesome for the average non professional user (potentially millions of users throughout the world). If so, from the point of view of non professional users, to remove "security = share" would be a considered a regression, it seems.
Cassian Braconnier