At 4:40 PM +0800 14/4/10, David Adam wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, David Cake wrote:

        I am setting up a client with vpn to access a samba share. The samba
 server (which is both file and WINS server) is also the vpn machine, so
 nothing too complicated as far as routing goes, and the vpn stuff (openvpn
 stuff) all seems to work fine, client can manually log into shares by
 specifying the name and vpn interface address of the share.
        I am using layer three bridging (IP over a tun interface), not layer
 two (ethernet over a tap interface)
        But what I would need to do to allow clients to browse shares on this
 one machine.
        Is there a way to configure the Windows client (and samba if
 necessary) to allow browsing of shares, without switching everything over to
 ethernet bridging (which seems a lot to do do for  simple task).
        I assume this is, at heart, a fairly simple browsing across subnets
 question. Please forgive my cluelessness.

I think the instructions at
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#DMB
will solve your problem - I assume you are not using a domain? Anyway, set
your VPN server up to be the domain master browser and you should be
laughing.

I have set my VPN up to be the domain master browser, it still does not appear to be working.

If you are using a VPN configuration interface that lets you hand out
options as well as addresses, you might consider running a WINS server as
well.

I am running a wins server, and I am pushing the WINS server details via the VPN (successfully as far as I can tell).

        Any suggestions for how to work out what is going wrong here?
        Regards
                David