On 05/24/2010 3:46 PM, Steve Wolfe wrote:
I have a fairly old Samba server, 3.0.25, on CentOS 4.8.  I'd like to update
it to something more modern, so I grabbed the "Enterprise Samba" 3.5 RPMs
for RHEL, and went to work on a test machine.

After upgrading via "rpm -U ./*.rpm", starting nmbd and smbd, I can no
longer log in to the domain, I get:

netlogon_creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from client
FREESCALE machine account FREESCALE$

While /etc/samba/smbpasswd remains seemingly untouched from the upgrade, I
have to delete and recreate each account before it will let me log in to the
domain.
If you were using smbpasswd as the passdb backend, note that the default changed to tdbsam in version 3.4.0.
http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.4.0.html
To continue to use smbpasswd, you would have to declare it in smb.conf.
    passdb backend = smbpasswd.

Since there are about a hundred workstations (and more accounts), I'd like
to make this a more seamless transition... any tips for a newb?
You could also export your existing smbpasswd to tdbsam.
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html#pdbeditthing

       Account Import/Export

The |pdbedit| tool allows import/export of authentication (account) databases from one backend to another. For example, to import/export accounts from an old |smbpasswd| database to a /|tdbsam|/ backend:

  1.

     |root# |*|pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam|*

  2.

     Replace the /|smbpasswd|/ with /|tdbsam|/ in the /|passdb
     backend|/ configuration in |smb.conf|.

Dale