On 04/06/10 03:44 PM, Miha Krajnc wrote:
Hey guys,
i installed samba on my Ubuntu 10.04 machine (sudo apt-get install samba)
and it didnt create any config files. There is no /etc/samba or
/usr/local/samba. I dont realy know what to do.... The samba server fails to
start and i cant connect to the machine over my network. Anyone know what i
should do? I tried purging / reinstalling (apt-get and aptitude), with no
success.

Are you using Ubuntu server or desktop?

What messages do you get when you do "aptitude install samba" (after purging it, of course)?

What happens if you do "/etc/init.d/samba start"?

Also, have you tried installing SWAT? I find it very useful for configuring servers.