If you have simple requirements, then you may want to stick with the Sun provided packages in the short run.

These will support
    Domain controller configuration
    LDAP backend
    XP Clients
    ZFS support
    nsswitch support with winbind

It won't support
    Domain trusts with Win 2003/2008-mode domains.
    Win 7 clients

Compiling Samba from source on Sun can be a little tricky. (see some of my earlier posts on this.) I have no experience with creating a package.

You can also get samba from sunfreeware BUT it does NOT include nsswitch/winbind support or ZFS. But if you aren't doing domain trusts and are using UFS it should also be fine.

If you don't have the Solaris 10 DVD you can download it from Sun.