On 25/08/2010 08:27 a.m., Daniel Müller wrote:
Dear all,

I think this is discussed  here several times but this problem driving me
mad.
Believe me, this was not discussed as many times as you think.
I can join the win7 pc to the samba domain on the fly, but after logoff and
then logon it always complain about
The temporary profile thing (on Win xp it is working!!!!!):
In my global section:
logon script=login.bat
logon path=\\%L\homes\%U\profile

then:

[profiles]
    comment = Benutzer Profil %U
    path = /home/samba/share/home/%U/profile
    guest ok = no
    browseable = no
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
       profile acls = yes
    hide files=/Desktop.ini/Thumbs.db/lost+found
    force user = %U
    valid users = %U "Domain Admins"
    csc policy = disable
    read only = no

Any ideas??

Disable completly the roaming profile behavior Win 7 Workstations, this could be done by registry.

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System LocalProfile 1 REG_DWORD
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System ReadOnlyProfile 1 REG_DWORD
Remenber that this could takes effect only after a Windows restart ...

Second, disable logon path directive unless you need it

;logon path = \\%L\homes\%U\profile
logon path =

If you need it copy a Default profile generated by Windows 7 to this folder, you could found it on c:\users folder on any Windows 7 Workstation.

Third there is a registry value on Windows 7, called ProfileList
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ ProfileList

Sometimes when you test or login for first time Windows 7 Workstation, it will write this registry with the user profile path, I don't know how the heck it mixed Temporary profiles with local profiles definition, the result every time you log in with a user it recreates the profile on c:\users\TEMP but the system initially do not recognize the profile as a temporary but as Local or Mobile, depending on your definition. At the logout of the user session it treats the profile as a temporary one deleting the TEMP folder and all changes you done on it --Nasty thing --. So my advice delete those entries where the domain users gets c:\users\TEMP as the default profile path.

Then log in the user to create a truly own Local profile.

I use kixtart tools to do most of this work, i disable the folder redirection for those users that use local profiles, to them they use the default folders locations. I believe that there is something related with the folder redirection setting and this annoying behavior --deleting the whole profile--.

I found out a Registry value that affects Windows Vista and 7 Workstations MachineProfilePath
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
Is for roaming profiles, but maybe could be tricked to be mobile or "local" if you set local or mobile the path as you need it.

Daniel

EDV Daniel Müller

Leitung EDV
Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus