disclaimer: I don't use Samba as an ADS member server. I use samba as PDC with trusts to an ADS domain. So my observations may not be valuid.

Did you try updating nsswitch.conf

    passwd:     files winbind
    group:    files winbind

If you are using a Windows domain and have a user defined in the domain, you generally don't want to add the user as a local user. Since the underlying unix OS needs to know about the domain users you need to either use nsswitch+winbind (which I do) or the smb pam module (which I don't use, and not sure if it really is the correct approach.)

If you use nsswitch.conf+winbind you can then also OPTIONALLY allow "windows" users "unix" access like ssh. My samba server is a PDC- I have a domain trust with windows domains BUT the default shell is "/bin/false." (It is still a little flaky...)

Does "getent passwd" show the windows users?   It should show something like

ben:*:10001:10001:Ben George:/home/SRE/ben/bin/false

or

SRE+ben:*:10001:10001:Ben George:/home/SRE/ben/bin/false

It looks like = you already have a "unix" ben and a "ADS" ben defined?

"wbinfo -s" and "wbinfo -n" are also useful for making sure that the name-to-sid and sid-to-name mappings are correct for domain users.