Dennis,

Maybe this instead:

     inherit permissions (S)

   The permissions on new files and directories are normally governed
   by create mask
   <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#CREATEMASK>,
   directory mask
   <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#DIRECTORYMASK>, force
   create mode
   <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#FORCECREATEMODE>
   and force directory mode
   <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#FORCEDIRECTORYMODE>
   but the boolean inherit permissions parameter overrides this.

   New directories inherit the mode of the parent directory, including
   bits such as setgid.

   New files inherit their read/write bits from the parent directory.
   Their execute bits continue to be determined by map archive
   <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#MAPARCHIVE>,
   map hidden
   <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#MAPHIDDEN> and
   map system
   <http://debpdc:901/swat/help/manpages/smb.conf.5.html#MAPSYSTEM> as
   usual.

   Note that the setuid bit is /never/ set via inheritance (the code
   explicitly prohibits this).

   This can be particularly useful on large systems with many users,
   perhaps several thousand, to allow a single [homes] share to be used
   flexibly by each user.

   Default: //|inherit permissions|/ = |no| /

Dale