I found a fancy, easy (seeming) way to add printer drivers in windows 7 since the old methods don't seem to work anymore.

if you run mmc, you can add a snapin called print management, which enables you to manage various things (drivers, forms, ports, and printers to be most important). Problem is, I can't figure out how to use the "Drivers" method to add drivers. I get a "Failed to add driver. Access is denied" error, can I can't figure fromwhere this error might be issued. my laptop is ikari, so I tried to less /var/log/samba/log.ikari, but there were no errors relating to permission being denied.. my user is a member of the samba group "lpadmin", and the share has "write list = @lpadmin" and the directory it points to is chmod g+s and chgrp -R lpadmin. far as I can tell I can write to this directory and there's no reason I shan't be able to accomplish this except the mysterious access denied error.

I tried adding the (Apparently deprecated) printer admin = @lpadmin option to the printer and print$ shares, but it didn't help. I'll be removing it. my google-fu couldn't find the replacement attribute.

so the question is.. what do I need to do? is windows 7 incapable of doing this, or do I just need to somehow add the missing magic permission somewhere?

PS: This isn't a member of a domain, it's not currently related to my other domain issues, though the server will eventually be in the final, completed domain)