John H Terpstra wrote:

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:

running samba 2.2.7 on linux as a PDC.
client box is win XP PRO SP1.

When shutting down windows i am getting an error message
as follows (paraphrased since it lasts for 30 seconds and disappears
no matter what you do *&*&#$#$ ):

Problem saving profile Documents and Settings/Start Menu/Programs/
Accessoreis/Entertainment/Windows Media Player.lnk

drives me nuts. In the latter case, nothing short of re-installation of
the Win NT/2K/XP machines seems to solve the problem.

ouch

Another thing I found is that if the debug level is set to 0 when the
client first negotiates roaming profile handling then no problems ensue,
but if the debug level is set to 3 or more during first negotiation of

yes - i have been running at log level 10 to flush out all the problems that i have been having. so,
when i jointed the domain, i was at log level 10.

roaming profile handling for a freshly installed Win2K/XP system, then
about 2 out of 3 stations will experience a problem. That problem could be
anything from:

1. Pop-up of notepad with the contents of what looks like a .ini file

this occurs with one of the login names from that machine, but so far, not the others

Secondly, embedding of '.' (dots) in a NetBIOS name is a very bad
practice. If your Win2K clients use DNS for name resolution and your DNS
domain is thecompany.com, then the above NetBIOS names would map to"

mars.genwax.test.thecompany.com

the fully qualified domain name of this server is "mars.genwax.test". i know that
is kind of strange, but this is a test server, on a test network, so it has its own
ip addresses, domain, and netbios names. i changed it to simply mars, and it did
not change any of the system behavior.

os level = 99

Why 99? An OS level of 33 is more than enough and setting it higher does
not add anything. This is trivial so please ignore. My comment is just
FYI.

got it from page 6 of the "Unofficial Samba How-To".

--
___cliff [EMAIL PROTECTED]http://www.genwax.com/