Adding pdc1 to the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) did not make a difference. After adding pdc1 to lmhosts, "net use \\pdc1" did work. So in the case of pdc1 one, the name is being resolved as a netbios
name (i.e. via lmhosts) not a tcp/ip type name (i.e. via dns or hosts)

But then why does "net use" work with all the other windows or samba
servers? As far as I can tell, DNS is the only method by which the names
are being resolved.

I did notice that "nbtstat -c" shows the following

What does nbtstat -r show?

SonicWALL VPN Connection:
Node IpAddress: [x.x.x.x.] Scope Id: []

                                   NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table

               Name              Type       Host Address    Life [sec]
       BDC1          <20>  UNIQUE          x.x.x.x.10        522
       BDC2          <20>  UNIQUE          x.x.x.x.11        560
       SOMEMACHINE   <20>  UNIQUE          x.x.x.x.12        597

PDC1 is not in cache- which I guess makes sense since it is explicitly
listed in lmhosts.

The "nbtstat -r" command only shows machine on my home network, nothing on the corporate network, so this really does indicate that there is no netbios
broadcasts going on crossing the VPN link.

Thanks