I thought I would post this in case it might be of help to someone else who has experienced winbind crashes since moving to 3.5.x.

Back in November 2010, after upgrading to Samba 3.5.x, I started experiencing repeated winbind crashed resulting in the generation of "winbind_cache.corrupt" files. I was premature in saying the problem was resolved and the bugs could be closed because my attempted winbind fix lasted less than 36 hours. In the interim, I've been constantly monitoring and trying other things. A recent unrelated problem affecting the entire LAN apparently enabled me to resolve the repeated winbind crashes.

Actually, Steve Langasek provided the necessary clue in December, but I did not know what to do with the info at the time. He said:

        It's the nature of OpenDNS that if you send a query to it for*any*
hostname
        that doesn't resolve, instead of (properly) giving a "no such host"
message,
        it instead responds with an IP address pointing to one of its own
        webservers.

        So any failure to resolve a name via WINS will result in it being
resolved
        to OpenDNS instead, in this situation.

Using redirecting DNS forwarders appears to be the source of my winbind problem. Using DNS Benchmark ( http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm ), I was able to identify public non-redirecting servers to use. After changing the forwarders, I have not had a winbind crash in 5+ days.

Note that I have a server still using 3.2.5 that has not had a single winbind problem during this entire period. In fact, all versions through 3.4.x worked flawlessly, so something in the internal workings of winbind/DNS changed with 3.5. During the entire problem period, the DC was available and fuctioning properly, as was the WINS server. My suspicion is that the DC was not responding as fast as winbind expected it to, then resorting to OpenDNS to resolve the name, resulting in a redirection to an OpenDNS server, ultimately leading to the winbind crash. If my suspicion is correct, this may be another manifestation of one of the bugs fixed in 3.5.8:

        o  Fix Winbind crash bug when no DC is available (bug #7730).

So, if you are using Samba 3.5.x and are having winbind problems, ensure that the DNS servers that you are using are non-redirecting. It might give you a reprieve until 3.5.8 comes to your distribution.

Dale