Hello Andrew,

Update...

I did get ldaps and -Z working, but I can't do it with SASL, I can't find docs that say, but is it possible that SASL (GSSAPI) and ldaps are not compatible?

What -Z is supposed to do ?

ldapsearch -H ldaps://ldapserver.domain -Y GSSAPI
SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Server is unwilling to perform (53)
additional info: SASL:[GSSAPI]: Sign or Seal are not allowed if TLS is used

<snip>
So the question is are SASL and ldaps not compatible and if that is the case which is better? I like GSSAPI because I don't need to store passwords on the system, but I'm not clear on how encrypted the data being transmitted is. I did a packet capture and I do see some data that doesn't look like clear text, but that's all I know for sure :)

Have a look at ldbsearch (our ldap like search tool).

Can you try ldbsearch -H ldaps://name_of_your_dc  -k 1
It should work to do GSSAPI (kerberos) and ldaps, at least it works for me !
Can you also try ldbsearch -H ldaps://name_of_your_dc -U user_in_the_ad

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org