Hello,

I am currently running Fedora 15 on an x86_64 system that acts as a whole house server for named, dhcp, nfs, nis, htpp, samba, etc

The system is currently running samba-3.5.11-71 with kernel 2.6.40.6-0.fc15.x86_64. The system is fully patched as of today. However, this issue has existed for at least 2 years and I am at a loss to debug it.

I have a simple samba configuration for sharing files to a windows VM on another box.

Here is the config:

[global]

workgroup = NERD
server string = Samba Server on NERD
security = user
hosts allow =192.168.1.
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50

passdb backend = smbpasswd

dns proxy = no

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes

This seems to work well for extended periods of time without issues until I transfer more than normal (for me) amounts of data like DVD ISOs or importing a music collection into itunes. The direction of the data flow doesn't seem to matter. Once a large amount of data has been transferred, then all remote access becomes painfully slow. NFS access to the unix clients, samba access, even ssh'ing into the server becomes painfully slow. Memory utilization and cpu utilization are low.

Restarting the samba server does not clear the issue. Only rebooting the server clears up the issue.

I don't see any interesting messages in the log files

It seems like the use of samba triggers something on the server that brings it to a crawl and affects everything.

I can copy data back and forth using NFS for hours and never see the issue unless I use samba.

Any suggestions or help in debugging this issue?

Michael