I'm looking for advice on how to handle this problem... I've inherited a samba domain with an ldap backend. It uses custom scripts to add users and to join a machine to the domain. I don't mind the custom add user script but I'd like to do away with the custom script to join a machine to the domain. The custom script breaks all the time and our Windows systems admin is pretty frustrated with our samba domain. Every time he wants to join a machine to the domain, he has to come to me to coerce that script into working. So I'd like to switch to the smbldap-tools script for adding a machine to the domain.

The tricky part is that our ldap database is also used for linux authentication so I have to make sure I don't mess up the ldap database when I fix it for smbldap-tools. I was thinking of building a new ldap/samba server with an empty ldap database, running the smbldap-populate script, and then importing just the ldap records for existing users and machines. So then I could test linux authentication vs the new machine while the old machine is still up.

But I don't actually know how to extract the data I need from the old ldap database. And maybe it would be safer to let the old dreck in there. But how does the smbldap-tools populate script know about existing machines?