On 08/12/11 00:03, John Heim wrote:
How much of a resource hog is a PDC? My understanding is that
authentication is done vs a BDC if available. I configured my new file
server as the domain PDC because I figured it would already have to run
samba. I have two other machines configured as BDCs to serve as logon
servers.

I'm looking for opinions on whether I'm asking for performance problems
by making my file server the PDC. Actually, this machine is already
serving as PDC but its not in production yet as a file server. So right
now, its just the domain PDC. When I log into the domain and "echo
%logonserver%", it shows that one of the BDCs was the logon server, not
the PDC. It doesn't look like the PDC has to do anything but handle
joining machines to the domain.

We have to work within a tight budget and can't afford a backup server. We serve 600 home folders and logins to 25 clients from the same box. In an educational environment we experience slow logons which we think is due to everyone logging on at once. Windows 7 logons are particularly bad. Looking at top you can see slapd and nmbd throw a fit for a minute or so. With files it's OK unless we have a group working with gimp and photoshop. Usually it's when everyone is doing the same thing at the same time e.g. when a teacher has given an instruction to do something. On a normal lan I don't think you'd have these situations.
HTH
Steve.