If your NIS passwd file did NOT have a valid password, maybe samba or unix was rejecting logins as a security measure.

On 03/12/12 13:33, Simon Matthews wrote:
On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Tony Molloy<tony.mol...@ul.ie>  wrote:

On Sunday 11 March 2012 05:31:35 Simon Matthews wrote:
On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Gaiseric Vandal

<gaiseric.van...@gmail.com>wrote:
Do you have password sync enabled?    If password sync is
enabled, samba will try to use the passwd command to set the
unix password.  But with nis, you probably might need something
nis specific. On solaris it was “passwd –r nis” -  not sure
about linux.    Probably better to just disable password sync.
I've got a very similar setup to you. Except I use a smbpasswd file.

No, I don't have this option enabled. I am not sure how it is
relevant. Problem summary:
The samba PDC is an NIS client
"getent passwd" retruns the passwd data.
The user's SAMBA password was set  using smbpasswd
The user's NIS passwd was set using yppasswd
So far all the same.

ALL I had to do to allow domain logins was:
ypcat passwd | grep<username>  >>  /etc/passwd
Why duplicate the password entries. I just have them in NIS and
/etc/passwd just has the system passwords.

Note that after copying the user details to /etc/passwd, the
password that was set with "smbpasswd" was the password that was
used with the successful domain login.
Don't really uinderstand what you mean by "domain logins"

1.  Create the user under linux first
2.  Use smbpasswd to add the user to samba

You now have a user in both linux and samba but remember the passwords
are stored separately, changing one does not change the other.

3.   Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf. Set

passwd:    files nis
shdow:      files

Removing the "nis" entry from "shadow:" in /etc/nsswitch.conf solved the
issue. I don't understand why, but it did .

Simon

That works for me. YMMV

Tony

Simon