On 5/18/2012 11:06 AM, Jaap Winius wrote:
Hi folks,

My client and I are having a problem getting a portable Esaote
ultrasound machine to connect to a Samba server. The unit has an
integrated laptop with a Windows XP version that can hardly be modified.
Upon delivery the vendor only changed the user name and workgroup for
us. When I asked for the user password to make a matching Samba account,
the vendor refused because they use a key on a USB stick for that. They
said to fill in a name and password for the server every time we needed
to access the Windows share.

So far I've experimented with the Samba "map to guest" and "guest
account" options, which should work, but I'd really like to see this
machine connect to the Samba server in the usual fashion.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any workarounds, or hacks that I might
try?

Thanks,

Jaap

Isn't there a check box on windows for mapping a network drive "Connect using different credentials"? Then every time the machine tries connecting to the share it should be using the credentials provided for the mapped drive.

Another option would be to reset the administrator password on the XP machine, google: "ntpasswd".

As for samba tricks, give the machine a static IP or a reserved IP and allow write access from only that IP?